Pages


Friday, April 12, 2013

How 36 seconds cost me $2931

USB 3.0 and UDMA 60 MB/s vs. UDMA7 160 MB/s 
36 seconds, that's how long it takes to copy 114 images totaling 3.48 GB from my new CF card to my new laptop.


2 minutes and 53 seconds is how long it takes to transfer the same 114 images totaling 3.48 GB from my old CF card to my old laptop.


$2931 is how much the new CF card, reader, and laptop cost me.


That is nearly a 5x speed increase from the old to the new.


With each filled 32GB card, the old setup would take about 26 minutes and 30 seconds while the new setup would only take 5 minutes and 30 seconds.


That's 21 more minutes of extra time! Score technology! Saving us time and making our lives better.


What I am talking about here is the transfer time for images when using USB 2.0 compared to USB 3.0. To get USB 3.0 you have to own a newer laptop or computer. To take advantage of the faster transfer speed you also need a USB 3.0 card reader and a CompactFlash (CF) card capable of faster read speeds, such as the 1000x or UDMA7 compliant cards.


Getting the new laptop, card reader, and CF card is how I arrived at $2931 for 36 seconds and a 5x speed increase.


Is it all worth it?


Yes of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment